Offers In Compromise & Petitions For Abatement

Decades Of Experience | A Mastery Of State And Federal Tax Law

Do you owe back taxes? The Internal Revenue Service and State Department of Revenue are powerful collection agencies. The penalties and interest alone can be crippling. The IRS or Department of Revenue can also garnish your wages, levy your bank accounts, put a lien on your property or issue tax warrants. Some, but not all taxes are eligible to be discharged through bankruptcy, but this does not mean that you are out of options.

If you owe back taxes, do not hesitate to call our law office in Shawnee at 913-385-0600. We have helped thousands in Johnson County and the Kansas City metro area resolve their tax issues.

At Chapin Law Firm, LLC, we help individuals and businesses negotiate tax solutions with the IRS and State Department of Revenue. We work with these agencies so that you don’t have to. You will work directly with attorney Brett Chapin throughout the process. He is not only a lawyer, but also a certified public accountant (CPA) with more than 20 years of experience.

What Are Your Options For Relief?

As with any lender, it is more beneficial for the IRS or state tax authorities to be paid back a portion of what is owed. If you have more tax debt than you can afford to pay, tax authorities may be willing to accept partial payments based on your financial circumstances. Your options for relief from back taxes can include:

  • Offers in compromise: This is a federal program that allows you to settle your tax debts, including interest and penalties. You pay the IRS a lump sum that is less than the total amount owed. The amount of the lump sum payment depends on several factors.
  • Petitions for abatement: The Kansas and Missouri Department of Revenue allows taxpayers to settle their state liabilities in a program similar to the federal process.
  • Installment agreements: In some cases, you may not be eligible for an offer in compromise. The taxing authority may allow you to pay your tax debt over time.

Discuss Your Options For Relief With Our Experienced Tax Attorney

Do not wait if you have received a notice from a taxing authority. You could miss important deadlines. Contact us to schedule your first appointment with our experienced tax lawyer. You can reach our office at 913-385-0600. You can also send us your information online and we will get back to you immediately.

How Can We Help?

Contact Form